Today is all about decorating with blue walls. For those of us who are in to Scandinavian style interiors, it’s a common misconception that you can only decorate with white, grey or black. You will often find colour in Scandi homes, especially colours that draw from nature and one of the most popular is shades of blue. Think things like pale blue skies, grey-blue seas and blue-green oceans.
Of course there are no bright blues but plenty of pale, muted, deep or dark blues. To keep things looking neutral, calm and seamless when decorating with blue, it’s best to pair with colours like whites, blacks, greys and beiges.
The key to making blue work lies in choosing the right tone for your space. The good news is that this colour can work equally well in practically any room in your home. Blue walls feel welcoming and calming and that’s why I especially love them for a bedroom.
As with most colours, there are so many shades of blue out there. From the palest of blues to the deepest of blues, blues with grey undertones, blues with green hints, blue-blacks… the list goes on. Whether you’re drawn to the lighter shades or something moodier and darker, there is a shade of blue out there for you. Having said that it’s important to add that not all shades of blue will give you a calm, neutral look – bright blues are clearly off the list!
some ideas for decorating with blue walls
1. as always, check the undertone of the blue paint you’re drawn to and test it on your walls (not sure about undertones? read more on how to choose paint colours)
2. blue is a cool colour so may not work as well in north or east facing rooms – but this depends on the mood you’re trying to create
3. blues pair really well with bright whites, bold blacks, greys or beige or brown tones
4. if you’re going for more than one shade of blue in a room, stick to a lighter or darker tone of the same shade/undertone to keep the look cohesive and neutral
5. for a warmer look consider mixing in warm elements like natural textures, warm woods and soft fabrics
Blue is a cool and calm colour choice for any room in your home. And even though it’s a cool colour you can warm it up with natural textures and warm colours.
What do you think? Are you tempted to paint your walls blue?